Thursday, August 16, 2012

Technology free...(Day 1) 

OK....so what happens when a self proclaimed technology addicted 41 year old woman and a 13 year old boy go on a 4 day semi-technology free road trip? Good times occur. We left on Evan's birthday and headed to Wilmington. This was our first trip together with just the 2 of us, so I didn't really know what to expect. We were excited, that much I knew. We did have a GPS so we wouldn't get lost and his iPhone for phone calls and google.  We arrived in Wilmington early afternoon, checked into our hotel (our room wasn't ready) so we decided to start our adventures immediately. First stop...The Aquarium at Fort Fisher. We drove toward the coast to Kure Beach and arrived at the aquarium. We had fun looking at all the exhibits. Evan was particularly fond of the shark exhibit since it was Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. (Go figure) After several hours there, we headed back to our hotel, checked in and unpacked our bags. (We stayed at The Hilton Garden Inn at Mayfaire....excellent hotel and staff).  Since it was his birthday I told him we could go wherever he wanted for dinner. There was a Longhorn in the neighborhood so he decided he wanted to eat there and I think that was mostly because there was a Barnes and Nobles in the parking lot as well. Just like me, he loves book stores. We enjoyed dinner, he had dessert (I'm still on my fast) and we decided to walk it off by heading to Barnes and Nobles. We created our own antics in the parking lot...seeing who could jump the most without getting tired. Of course, I lost. We spent a couple of hours in Barnes and Nobles flipping through books and laughing. He told me he wanted one of those "dummy books". I asked "which one." His reply "you know...the dummy book." I then had to explain to him there was a dummy book on just about every subject known to mankind. He said "ohhhhh, now I get it." We split up for a while then he came back and said "I found the perfect dummy book for you." He pulled it from behind his back. How to Play Guitar for Dummies....Then he said with excitement, "There's even a CD." I laughed. I have a guitar that I have no idea how to play. He had me on that one. But I still didn't buy the book. Since our day started so early we were both tired so we went back to the hotel, showered and crashed. 

No comments: