Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 11.....Celebration of Love

Day 11 of my 30 day fast......Today would have been pretty easy if I had not been met with a conflicting situation. You see this evening I went to a wedding to celebrate the union of my friends, Mike and Ashley. Mike is not only my photographer but he's one of the most awesome men I know....seriously. He is sweet, kind, giving and funny. His spirit is gentle and warm. I've never had an encounter with him that didn't leave me smiling. Most times he can be caught capturing the most amazing shots on film and if he's not doing that, he's probably cracking racial jokes about his part Asian heritage. I love this dude and I'm so happy for him and Ashley. They had a beautiful ceremony in a renovated rock quarry that now houses Carrigan Farms. They got married on a rock cliff overlooking a manmade lake...breathtaking. So here's the conflict....once we arrived at the wedding site we were greeted with 2 words that I did not need to hear...OPEN BAR! Awwwwwhhhh man! I had all these thoughts running through my mind but mostly...you can handle this. I made it through the ceremony and we headed over to the reception area where there was a...CUPCAKE BAR. Anyone that knows me knows that alcohol and cupcakes are my 2 favorite vices. So, it begins. I'm talking to my girls about how my next blog would just be about how I had to give in....I mean, it was in fact a celebration. They agreed as they had both succumbed to the Moscato at this point. I rationalized how it was OK and I was only human and people would understand. I mean how would I get past the toast? All of these thoughts raced back and forth. Then I stopped. I thought about all the other people who were looking to me to support them through this challenge and if I gave in to my own wants for a few minutes I would be letting them all down. And that's all it took. I watched everyone else drink and eat cupcakes and it was all good. I had a great time, I laughed so hard I almost peed on myself. Near the end, I made my way to the photo booth on site and grabbed Mike so I could capture a moment in time. As I look back at the pictures today, I smile. I smile for his happiness, I smile for our friendship and mostly I smile because I made it through.

No comments: