Thursday, March 28, 2013

Friends....how many of us have them?

In my opinion friendship is one of the most important relationships you can have because it's your opportunity to pick who you want to be in your family. About 12 years ago that's exactly what happened for me. I met a beautiful girl named Kelley that was 10 years younger than me and decided to make her my sister. She was very mature for her age and we had a lot in common. Our love for fashion and our love for partying. Our fashion sense....we still maintain. Our party girl status, not so much. HA! We have shared so many adventures together it could fill the pages of a novel but here's the cliff's notes version. I decided to become a natural hairstylist and open a salon. I begged her to let me train her so she could work for me. She said no. She wanted to travel the world. She became a flight attendant. The airline closed down. She took me up on my offer and became my shampoo assistant. I trained her so she became a stylist. I decided to leave my first salon. She and I decided to open a salon together. We have laughed, we have cried and we have traveled. We've spent more time laughing and traveling. But the most important journey we have shared is our weight loss journey. I don't know when that began but we have always been supportive of each other in it. If I decide to do a crazy food challenge she's the first one to agree to do it with me. She convinced me to go to my first trainer. We work out when we're on vacation. We became vegetarians and vegans together (We teeter between the two.) We support each other and give each other loving words of encouragement. And that's what's most important. Having someone who genuinely has your best interest at heart. We have NEVER had an argument. She's all about happiness and I'm all about love. Friendships, like families are never perfect but this one has managed to come pretty close. If I'm tripping she checks me and vice versa. Then to add icing to the cake or cupcake because everyone knows I LOVE CUPCAKES (I digress), we met Jessica. She has made us a trifecta that equals the likes of Charlie's Angels and Destiny's child all rolled into one. I love these ladies with all that I have and all that I am. They are the epitome of what true friendship should consist of. The picture I've attached to this blog is of Kelley and I 10 years ago vs today. A lot has changed but our friendship has remained the same. In the words of Drake "forget your fake friends, where your real friends at?" (OK, he really says a curse word but you get the point. LOL) I'm blessed beyond measure. I hope everyone has the joy of true friendship. Enjoyed my blog? You can also follow me on IG or Twitter: @roc_star and like my FB fan page. Happy Easter, egg hunting or whatever it is you do. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so amazing! So super happy for you and so motivated by you! !