Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Beaufort is for Romance

So....me and my honey decided  we needed a getaway. Since we both love to travel there aren't many places locally that we haven't been. So initially I searched for hotels in Savannah, Charleston or Hilton Head because a beach was mandatory. On my search for Hilton Head I came across the website for City Loft Hotel. I immediately fell in love after reading all the reviews and seeing all the pics BUT it was in Beaufort, SC. Who goes to Beaufort I thought...and where's the beach? After further research I discovered Hilton Head was only a 45 minute drive so I discussed it with him. He's adventurous too and since neither of us have ever been we packed some bags and hit the road. Man....was I pleasantly surprised! First, when you drive into Beaufort, it's such a nice city. Mostly waterfront. It was very easy to find Cateret St. which is where the hotel is located. From the outside it reminds me of a vintage hotel....perhaps that's what it actually is...renovated. There's a small office for check in. The guy was super duper nice. There is a small gym and a quaint coffee shop that offers free coffee and tea to guests. When we stepped in the room, I was ecstatic. It was the cutest hotel room I've ever seen and I've seen LOTS of hotel rooms. King size bed with memory foam mattress, a mini fridge and in the bathroom...a slice of heaven. I love taking showers so when I saw the rainfall shower....I was hooked. They also have a nice deep soaking tub. I never got in but it looked inviting. They have nightly turn down service and wine upon request. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.  Adventures: We walked the waterfront and held hands while sitting on a swinging bench watching boats go by, found a cute beach closer than Hilton Head...a 20 minute drive to Hunting Island. There is a $5 per person charge to get into the park where the beach is located. We also went to Cat Island...no cats but it houses Sanctuary Golf Club. City Loft has a deal with them so you can use their pool for a fee of $10 per person per day. We had the pool to ourselves most of the day. There are actually 2 pools, a jacuzzi, tennis court and golfing available.  FOOD! On the way to Hunting Island, we stopped at a restaurant called Johnson Creek Tavern. The crab cake sandwich was delicious. My honey had the shrimp burger and said it was one of the best things he's ever tasted. Service was good and the meal was reasonably priced.  In Beaufort we ate at 3 different restaurants; Luther's Rare and Well Done (get the crab and shrimp dip that comes with bugles....yummy), Lowcountry Market and Produce (We both got tuna melts. Service was excellent. We had the nicest waitress who saw us holding hands and asked if she could hold hands with us because she needed some love too. Of course, we obliged.) And last but not least Papaya Thai and Sushi Bar.....OMG. I could eat here EVERYDAY! They have dessert flavored cocktails. I got a caramel apple martini and I wanted to go slap the bartender. I also ordered a lobster roll....I wanted to slap the sushi chef. The atmosphere was amazing. Sexy and quaint. The service, even more amazing. Our waitress Tasha was nice, knowledgeable and friendly. I highly recommend this restaurant. They have gotten several Tripadvisor awards for food and service.  Well.....that's my take on Beaufort! I absolutely loved it and we've decided to make it a tradition for Labor Day. 

No comments: